Adding a YouTube video to PowerPoint 2013 presentation was meant to be as easy as with online blogging software. However, customers using PowerPoint 2010 and 2013 are finding that they can no longer use YouTube embed code to embed YouTube videos in PowerPoint presentations.
Microsoft mentions they are still investigating possible solutions to the problem, answering questions on the PowerPoint support forums.
A workaround that we used to add YouTube videos is by using the developer tools in PowerPoint 2013. So, if you have problems with embedding a YouTube video into your presentation, in this article we will give step-by-step instructions on how to add a YouTube video to PowerPoint 2013 presentation using the developer tools.
Embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint in 10 simple steps
- First, we need to switch on the developer tool in PowerPoint 2013. Go to the File menu and click on Options.
- In the PowerPoint Options under the Customized Ribbon, check the Developer option. A Developer Ribbon will then be added to your PowerPoint work-space.
- Then select the More Controls option under the Developer Ribbon.
- From the several options of other controls available to you, select the Shockwave Flash Object.
- Click your left mouse button and drag to create a crossed box object (it looks like an envelope) where your video would be embedded.
- Switch to YouTube and copy the web address of the YouTube video you want to embed in your presentation from your browser’s address space.
- Go back to your presentation and select the object. Right Click the object and select the option Property Sheet.
- From the long list of Properties of the Shockwave Flash Object select Movies and paste the web address in the cell in front of it.
- Next, you need to make few changes to the YouTube video URL. Replace the “=” (equal) sign in the web address with a “/” (forward slash). Also, delete the “watch?” from the web address.
- Finally, adjust your video player size like you adjust any element in PowerPoint.
- All done! Congratulations! Run the slideshow
You will have the usual controls for the video as you would expect in a PowerPoint presentation. The advantage of this method is that any change that is made to the YouTube video will be reflected in your PowerPoint presentation as well.
So, this guide explained the process of embedding a YouTube video in PowerPoint 2013. If you have any questions about the process please post your questions in the comments. We will do our best to help you.
If you found this article useful, we love to see your comment below. Feel free to share this helpful information with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.